Founded in 1965, Chester College is accredited to award the Bachelor of Arts degree by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), and by the New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission.
We are also affiliated with these following groups or organizations:
- Currier Museum
- New Hampshire College & University Council
- New Hampshire Writers’ Project
- New Hampshire Business Committee for the Arts
- College Board
Chester College of New England is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher education that offers the Bachelor of Arts degree. The College grants the Bachelor of Arts degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Photography and Media Arts, Creative Writing, Professional Writing,Communication Arts, and Interdisciplinary Arts.
Chester College of New England embraces the idea that the liberal arts are essential to lifelong education, as well as being the foundation of all creative and professional endeavors. All degree candidates must satisfactorily complete the general education core curriculum, which includes courses from the liberal and creative arts.
Committed to fostering the powerful connection between an inquisitive mind and the creative drive, Chester College of New England immerses its students in an interdisciplinary education emphasizing both the breadth of the traditional liberal arts and the specific skills and theoretical framework of the creative arts. Chester College seeks to graduate students who are thinking artists solidly connected as much to their art as to the historical, social, and cultural world around them.
The College advances this mission by:
Seeking to attract students who value the academic breadth and challenge of the liberal arts while immersing themselves in the creative and professional arts.
Maintaining a low faculty-to-student ratio and professionally accomplished and experienced teaching faculty to provide each student with personalized instruction and guidance, as well as academic and professional support.
Supporting students in their pursuit of employment in their areas of specialization upon completion of degree requirements in their career fields and assisting students to pursue graduate study or establish their own businesses.
Making its curriculum available to fulltime resident and commuting students, as well as to those students who desire to continuetheir education on a part-time basis as either degree or non-degree candidates.
Offering summer courses online and on campus to enable students to accelerate progress toward their degree and to enhance and supplement the career and creative skills of practitioners in the field.
In order to realize its mission, Chester College of New England sets forth the following objectives:
- To require a core requirement in the liberal arts that insures the integrity of its programs and the general education of its students.
- To maintain an academic environment that supports the intellectual, pragmatic, and creative endeavors of students and faculty.
- To accommodate a variety of learning styles predicated on individual needs.
- To provide an intellectual, theoretical, and practical foundation in the liberal arts upon which the College can build and refine programs in the professional and creative arts that meet the needs of students and achieve the mission of the College.
- To participate in and contribute to students’ visual and verbal literacy in a manner that supports and encourages their growth as citizens, learners, and professionals.
- To foster a student’s interest in intellectual growth and lifelong learning.
DEPARTMENT OF INTEGRATED LIBERAL STUDIES
At the heart of the Chester College mission is the commitment to educating thinking artists and writers who look outside the studio for subjects. Liberal studies courses provide the foundation for creative responses to the world,past and present. Designed to help you explore the connections between the creative arts and the liberal arts and sciences, these experiences often result in inspiration from unexpected places. Your appreciation for the intellectual, cultural, and historical context in which you create will set you up for success.
The College offers programs in the creative and professional arts informed by a strong commitment to the traditional values of the liberal arts and the fine arts.